30 May 2011

N E S T I N G P L A C E II

Source
Another day, another Bird’s Nest – I think everyone's been reading ‘The Magic Finger’ a bit too much! This one, by Swedish designers Inrednin Gsgruppen, is the most literal to date, and it is just one of 25 hotel room ‘nests’ planned for the surrounding area. The building is held up by existing trees and is clad in sticks, whilst the small peephole windows are pretty much hidden by branches. The staircase from the ground is retractable, allowing the inhabitants to close off the world completely. Unfortunately, I think the concept is betrayed slightly by the modern looking interior, which doesn’t really unite with the rustic-neanderthal-man vibe going on outside. I imagine it more as a bothy, which is a basic shelter usually in a remote area, that’s left unlocked for travellers to use for overnight stays. I should also say I've never actually been to a bothy, I think I would get a little freaked at the possibility of someone else showing up in the middle of the night!            

No comments:

Post a Comment