12 July 2011

D O T D : S E C O N D N A T U R E

My favourite buildings fall, without fail, into two categories. The most instantaneous of these is striking, quirky architecture - the visual type that’s full of bright colours, weird shapes and cleverly reworked forms and that make you gasp in amazement. I have these moments on design websites all the time, with Will Alsop, OMA, MVRDV, Herzog and De Meuron typically being the guilty parties. I love them all. 

The other type of architecture is near enough the polar opposite: evocative, poetic architecture that is totally stripped back and more to do with the feeling of a space rather than anything it contains. Peter Zumthor is the reigning master of this type of design. It’s not something I’ve really blogged about as yet, as I don’t tend to come across buildings like that too often, and I guess if you’re not into architecture the buildings may not be as accessible, or then again perhaps more so. 

This one that I’ve found is a great example. It’s by an Architect I’ve never heard of, in a place I’ve never been, and at first glance I even couldn’t tell you what it’s used for, but somehow the design and context just fit – like the building has always, or was always supposed to be there. It’s so understated and effortless. It’s supposedly inspired by the notion of a roman road, which I think speaks volumes about the timeless quality the building possesses. It's called 'Museu da Geira Romans' and is by Carvalho Araújo in Gerês, Portugal.
 
Source

Source
Source
Source
Source
Source

No comments:

Post a Comment