27 July 2011

A G L A S G O W S M I L E

A non-violent one, that is!

As some of you may recall, I've wanted to go and visit the new Transport Museum - or Riverside Museum, as it has be renamed - for a while now. Last weekend I finally went and I must say I was pretty impressed, by both the building and it's content. Old Zaha has done it again. Architecturally, the zinc clad shell of the museum nods to Glasgow's shipbuilding heritage, whilst the lofty interior spaces are perfect for hosting original and replica trams, motorbikes, caravans, classic cars and even the infamous 'Clockwork Orange'  Glasgow subway. Not being particularly interested in much of the transport, the highlight for me was the cobbled, recreated 'street' which you could walk through and enter old Victorian hang outs that were once native to Glasgow. This included the local ice cream shop, pub, photography studio, blacksmith and dressmaker, which really set the scene and gave a real sense of context for the transport. It's free too so if anyone is in Glasgow you should check it out - maybe not at the weekend though as it was rammed!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, the museum looks fascinating - and that building is incredible!

    x Michelle | thefeatherden.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going to museums, this one sounds interesting plus the building is amazing


    Bow Dream Nation xx

    ReplyDelete